Please note: Record's will be closed 11-27-14 and 11-28-14 for Thanksgiving.
The Records Office is responsible for retaining a variety of data including incident reports, traffic tickets and accident reports, but most importantly, they maintain all the criminal records for the department.
You can now purchase copies of accident reports online rather than waiting in line at the Sheriff’s Office. Just go to https://payments.clemis.org/extservices and follow the directions.
The Records Office is located in the main lobby of the Macomb County Sheriff’s Office, at 43565 Elizabeth Road, Mount Clemens, Michigan 48043.
Business hours for the Records Office (see below for fingerprint hours) are 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays, and 8:00 a.m. – 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday. The phone number is (586) 307-9393.
Please note that the Records Office will also be closed on the following days due to Holidays:
- Friday July 04, 2014
- Monday September 1, 2014
- Monday October 13, 2014
- Tuesday November 4, 2014
- Tuesday November 11, 2014
- Thursday November 27, 2014
- Friday November 28, 2014
- Wednesday December 24, 2014
- Thursday December 25, 2014
- Wednesday December 31, 2014
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
- Purchase permits are only required for purchases from private parties. They are not required when purchasing from a dealer.
- Handgun Purchase Permit – A permit to purchase a handgun is available during normal business hours. Once you have received your purchase permit you have 30 calendar days to return the MSP copy to our department. If you fail to do so you may be subject to a State civil infraction costing up to $250.00.
- If you do not purchase the handgun within the 30 day period the permit must still be returned. The drop box for returning purchase permits is located on the counter of the Record’s Office (24/7). Only permits issued by the Sheriff’s Office will be accepted.
- Concealed Weapon Permit – An application packet to carry a concealed weapon may be obtained at the Records Office during normal business hours. Complete instructions are contained inside the packet.
- Notary Fee – $5.00
- Police Incident / Accident Reports – Most police reports are available after seventy-two (72) hours at the Records Office. The fee for receiving an incident/accident report is $5.00.
- Police Clearance – You may obtain a copy of a Police clearance during normal business hours. There is a $6.00 charge if you have a record and $0.00 if not. Photo identification is required for a Police clearance check.
- Fingerprints- If you need to be fingerprinted for certain licensing or job related activities, prints can be obtained between the hours of 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. Wednesday. Photo identification is required. The fee for fingerprints is $18.00.
- Freedom of Information Requests (FOIA)– The Records Office is responsible for receiving and distributing the majority of the Freedom of Information requests for the Sheriff’s Office. FOIA requests must be submitted in writing to the Records Office. The standard fee for a FOIA request is $11.00. Additional charges are assessed for photographs, videos, and extensive reproduction of records. This process may take five (5) business days for a response.
- Proof of Incarceration – Can be obtained with photo identification at the Records Office. The fee for a proof of incarceration is $3.00.